Thursday, September 23, 2004

Albion and Tweed -- My Current Projects.

Well, actually I only really have one current project, because the other one bores me to tears.

I'm supposed to be knitting scarf for my friend Ed, in white and navy blue, because they're his beloved West Bromwich Albion's team colours.

So here it is so far...



You may notice it's a lot like the Harry Potter scarves I've been doing, which is probably why I'm bored with it. The thing is, though, I offered to make it for Ed, so I really ought to get going on it.

Oh, one interesting thing about the scarf, though. I knitted it with Red Heart acrylic, and then I thought, "No, that's horrible and ungenerous to give to a friend" so I bought the same colours in Brown Sheep Nature Spun (the nice wool-and-a-bit-of-mohair stuff I knitted my favourite Gryffindor scarf with) and started over. To my infinite surprise, the Red Heart version looks much better, so I'm chucking the Nature Spun one and going back to the Red Heart.

If I ever stop being bored out of my skull with the whole idea, that is.

My real work-in-progress is a hat. Surprise, surprise. It's interesting, though, because it's made out of triangles, and you sort of pick up stitches from the edge of one triangle, knit another triangle from those stitches, and then start again, and at the end you put it together in a sort of spiral and join it all up with mattress stitch.

It's a lot like Epcot center, really. Except it's a hat. And it's not so goddamn boring it makes you throw up.

Here's what I've done so far...



The yarn is kind of tweedy, and I love tweed so much it hurts, so that's why I went for that instead of the Noro Kureyon the Lucy Neatby pattern (which you can order from here, or find at In Stitches on Figueroa if you live in Santa Barbara) recommends. Oh, and the above link also shows what the hat's meant to look like when it's done.

I'm really quite enjoying working on it (even though I only bought the pattern because In Stitches was out of the pattern for this hat, which you can make bigger and all one colour so it's cloche-y), but I have to admit I'm a bit worried about the mattress-stitch part.

To be honest, I don't even know what mattress stitch is, let alone how to do it. Oops.

Next up, I shall reveal to you my recent yarn purchases and beg for advice as to what to do with them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi - I'm erin, and I found your new knitting blog through chauntel's blog. I'm a sometime frequenter of the JS group, and usual frequenter of the monthly meetup.

your blog looks great! and secondly, my husband (who's english and a soccer fan) frequently gives me quizzes about english teams names. (i.e. q: tottenham, a: hotspur. west bromwich being 'albion' almost always gets me, but with your visual of a scarf I will probably never forget it now.)

finally, I'm trying to get a list of knitting blogs/webpages of those from the meetup groups, and if you don't mind I'm going to add yours. It's nice to see what everyone is doing. The page (in progress) is here: www.geog.ucsb.edu/~erin/knitting.htm

have a good day, and maybe I'll be able to meet you in person next week.

September 24, 2004 at 10:22 AM  
Blogger Summers said...

Hiya Erin,

Um, I'm really crap at using Blogger -- I'm a LiveJournal girl, usually -- so I'm not sure how to actually reply *to* your comment. Hence, I am just replying to my own post and hoping you'll eventually see it!

V. glad to have been of service with remembering the Albion = West Brom. I'll tell my friend Ed (the Albion supporter) that I've helped spread knowledge of his much-loved team -- I'm sure he'll be pleased. ~g~

Thanks for the blog-compliment, by the way!! And it'd be lovely of you to put it on your list-of-knitting-blogs page; I'm all flattered that you even want to!

Also, I really like it that you're putting a page together -- such a good idea, having a place to find local knitters' blogs, etc.

Um, anyway, I hope I'll see you at the knitting group sometime soon! I've heard lots of good things about you. ~g~

Summers.

September 25, 2004 at 1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home