Saturday, September 25, 2004

Preparing to Attempt the "To Dye For" Sweater... Eeek!

I haven't tried making a sweater yet, and I've no idea whether or not "To Dye For" from Stitch n' Bitch is the best one to start with, but... well, it's the only sweater pattern I've seen (at least in Sn'B and the few knitting magazines I've looked at) that I actually like.

Here's what it's supposed to look like when it's done...



...but whether or not mine will resemble that in the slightest remains to be seen.

Anyway, I couldn't find the yarn Sn'B recommends, and to be honest I'm terrified of sweater-knitting, so I didn't actually search in any comprehensive or dedicated manner.

But then, I went into Craft Essentials (a store which I will be writing more about later, oh yes indeed) and found -- purely by accident -- a comparable yarn. And for less money (still expensive, though, argh.) So now I'm in possession of the specified amount of white "Classic Elite La Gran Mohair," and loads of Kool-Aid with which to dye it.

I had quite a bit of fun avoiding making an important phonecall earlier, via messing with Photoshop, so here's a picture of the Kool-Aid I bought, for your viewing pleasure...



I apologise for the tackiness. Sort of.

Next up: Summers Reveals to Her Reader(s) the Process of Kool-Aid Dyeing (or Absolutely Ruining) Mohair Yarn.

3 Comments:

Blogger tellen said...

Ooooh, Summers! I love that sweater. I just got my SnB book last week and that is one of the sweaters I marked to make. :) And you can SO do it! Good luck with the Koolaid. lol Mine and Chaun's experiment didn't go all that great. But then again...we didn't really put a lot of effort into it. I am sure yours will turn out beautiful!!

September 25, 2004 at 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Summers,
I have made this sweater & used pre-dyed mohair. You can see it on my blog, here is the link
http://firebrunette.blogamerica.com/blog/knittingphotos/_archives/2004/4/19/36801.html

Sorry it didn't highlight. If you look in my knitting photos album you will find it. There is a closeup of the side & sleeve as well as the full photo.
Enjoy, it is a fast project & a pretty good one for a first sweater. You might want to check the stitch n' bitch website for any revisions before you start knitting.
See you soon!
Chauntel

September 25, 2004 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Summers said...

I *still* don't know how to directly answer comments, so yet again I'm looking like a dork, commenting to my own post and hoping Tracy and Chauntel will see...

Tracy, the Kool-Aid turned out so terribly! I hate it! I'm going to Vons right now to get bunches of the Pink Lemonade packets, to see if maybe soaking my horrible mutanty yarn in it will sort of... I don't know, improve it somehow. I'm hoping all the huge still-white patches between the ugly awful colors will, when I turn them pink, somehow make the ugly awful colors seem less horrible.

Seriously, my yarn looks like an accident.

Oh well, It was kinda fun, and I turned my feet all orange, so that's interesting. :)

Chauntel, thanks for the advice about the Stitch n' Bitch website -- I didn't even think of that! And I'm so going to your blog right now to look at your To Dye For sweater. I was thinking of using pre-dyed yarn too, but I couldn't resist the call of the Kool-Aid. Oh, the memories of trying to dye my hair burgundy with Kool-Aid before I discovered Manic Panic...

See you soon, girls. :)

September 25, 2004 at 12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home